(Before 2008, BN was beyond acceptable level of arrogance and egoism. After 2008, PR provided some hope but it simply gets too political instead of getting the job done for the benefit of the people. Hopefully the “Third Force” changes the whole political landscape for the better. Image source: The People’s Parliament)
Here is one good reason why we need better candidates for the next general election…
Selangor has banned advertisements on billboards that feature the 1Malaysia logo.
The 1Malaysia logo is a political logo, said state Housing and Local Government Committee chairman Ronnie Liu, adding that this contravenes local by-laws.
Whilst some may argue double standards on part of PR in Selangor, I think it is rather childish of PR State Government for banning the logo 1Malaysia from billboards and here is why I say so:-
1. Why now? 1Malaysia was “coined” by Najib (or APCO according to Anwar) way back in 2008 and since then to now (more than 2 years and counting), I am pretty sure thousands of billboards and notices in Selangor have the logo “1Malaysia” prominently displayed and all this time, there has been silence from the State Government. So, what triggered the ban now?
2. Where is the damage? Those who been following up on the political news would know that from day 1, the concept of 1Malaysia has been shrouded in secrecy and uncertainty. BN says 1Malaysia but at the same, been linked with acts that go against our understanding of 1Malaysia. If Najib led Najib does not uphold the principles of 1Malaysia, it is damaging for BN and if he upholds it (by action), it is good for the people (isn’t that PR is fighting for all this while?).
3. It is, after all, just a slogan (yes, it is an expensive one but still…). Still remember the famed “don’t work for me but work with me” bullshit? Do I need to say more?
Well, I have supported PR in most of the embarrassing issues and “attacks” from pro-BN blogs and media but this time, PR in Selangor have gone and done something rather…childish. As RPK have mentioned in Malaysia Today (many times), PR does not need BN (or anyone else for that matter) to shove the long end of a pole into their back – they can do that just fine (and better) themselves.
Anyway, it is Christmas this weekend, so have a nice weekend and Merry Christmas. Hopefully things will get sane next week and if that does not happen, the next weekend is New Year.
- Malaysia lawmakers suspend Anwar (bbc.co.uk)
- Malaysia’s PM hopes to forge a united nation (cnn.com)
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?