India’s removal of special status under Article 370 to Jammu & Kashmir sparked protests namely from Pakistan and somehow by a weird sequence of events (maybe the stars were not lined properly), also led to a call to boycott Malaysian’s services & goods by Indians who were not happy with Dr M’s speech in UN. Image source: NDTV
It gets worse:-
The head of Pakistan-administered Kashmir has warned that a deteriorating security situation along and across the disputed border with India had the potential to escalate into a nuclear conflict that could reshape the world as we know it.
It is estimated that both India and Pakistan have about 150 nuclear warheads each and they have gone war with each 4 times (1947, 1965, 1971 & 1999) since separation. So it is a great concern when talks of escalation and use of nuclear arsenal is widely spoken since Article 370 removal was done.
But what is the Article 370 and why some countries are not happy with it?
First watch this press conference by India’s permanent representative at the United Nations, the very experienced and smooth talking Mr Syed Akbaruddin back in August 2019:-
And then watch this “in-depth” analysis on the Article 370:-
Article 370 is seen by Indians as the cause of Jammu & Kashmir to back track on development, equal rights and effective governing. It breeds disunity, ineffectiveness & corruption:-
1. Encourages Separationist tendency– As per the article published in Indian republic, Kashmiri locals do not think of them as part of India and often asks people coming from different states to Kashmir, if they have come from India. This shows that even the concept of unity in integrity, which is one of the best attribute of India’s most cherished culture, is losing its meaning.
2. It affects the economic development- As per the provisions of article 370 people from outside Kashmir cannot invest in Kashmir, they cannot buy any property or carry on any business. Where rest of the India enjoys right to move freely and carry on trade in any part of India thereby developing India as a whole, Kashmir due to restriction put by Article 370 is closing doors of development for itself.
3. Permitting corruption– As we have CAG, Lokpal, CBI to investigate corruption issues in other States of India, Kashmir due to article 370 does not come under these anti-corruption bodies. When corruption is on its toll in India it becomes a very important issue of debate that since the top most investigation bodies of India does not have its operation in Kashmir, is Kashmir totally a corruption free State and does not need such authorities.
4. Threat to Indian security– It is well known to all that Pakistan is a great threat to India due to its deep involvements in terrorism. The Article also gives Pakistan’s citizens entitlement to Indian citizenship, if he marries a Kashmiri girl. This is very sensitive issue and needs to be looked upon with great care and precautions. This way we are welcoming terrorists thereby making them our son in laws. How can this be justified when terrorism is not only a national issue of concern but global as well and more importantly when Kashmir is the eye of Pakistan right from the time of Independence.
5. RTI is not applicable to State of J&K– People are not only deprived of right to information but also the procedure to file the complaint. Which means a very important aspect of Democracy to have a transparent government is missing from the State. RTI has proved to be a very important tool to fight corruption, in the absence of RTI it can be assumed that politicians of J & K wants to escape from accountability thereby refusing to abrogate Article 370.
6. People in the State are not enjoying various beneficial laws such as marriages between Kashmiris and people from rest of India. Thereby affecting their human rights as well as marriage is a very personal issue and if on marrying a non-Kashmiri a Kashmiri women ceases to be the State subject where she was born and loses her identity of the State is quite discriminatory as it does not happen with women from rest of the State in India as they have only one citizenship that is Indian Citizenship.
7. The emergency provisions- Article 352 and 356 do not apply to State of Jammu and Kashmir. Under Article 356 where President can declare his rule in any state of India for Jammu and Kashmir he has to first consult with the Governor of State who himself is appointed by the President.
From a security strategic point of view, India gains from the removal of the Article 370:-
Kashmir has been a buffer zone for Pakistan in its security strategic formulation. With local government coming under direct control of New Delhi would now mean all information would reach the central government directly.
The change in status of Jammu and Kashmir means that a better-coordinated security force would be on the LoC keeping a tighter vigil on Pakistan’s activities in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir including Gilgit-Baltistan.
With local political autonomy gone in the Kashmir Valley, Indian forces theoretically come much closer to the only significant development project – China Pakistan Economic Corridor — in the Pakistan-occupied Kashmir.
P.s. Speaking about boycotts, interestingly this news was making the headlines as well – India is stopping the export of onions due to an onion shortage in the country. Will this ban be extended to Malaysia as part of the boycott?
How you will rate this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count:
No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Thanks for your feedback!