Skip to content

History 101: Morib, The Deserted But Fun Beach

morib beach plaque history world war 2 indian army

This World War 2 plaque in the centre of the Morib beach states the 46th Indian Beach Group landed in Morib on 9 Sept 1945 and handled 42,651 personnel, 3,968 vehicles and 11,224 tons of stores. It was reported that it took four days them to reach Kuala Lumpur as there was fierce resistance from the Japanese Army.

The Morib beach is not only a favourite tourist spot but it is also historical. It was one of the first landing points on the west coast for the British and Indian Army liberation forces during end of World War II in 1945.

However, for me and my siblings, this is the place where I first saw the sea.

morib sea beach

(Can you imagine the sight of a “nothingness” as far as the eyes can see for an 8-year-old boy? I was taken back to see the quantum of water when I first saw a sea)

I still remember clearly the day we went there. I was 8 years old and we were at home reading magazines. It was about 10.00 am and my Dad suddenly popped the question “Shall we go to Morib?” He then checked the newspaper on the section that publishes the high and low tides times.

At first, I thought it must be some relatives’ house in a place called Morib but when my mom packed sandwiches and our towels, I know then we were going to picnic sort of.

morib dad

(My dad lost in his thoughts while looking at the sea. His favourite past time is fish from the rocks here. According to him, he used to come here when he was small with his friends for a swim and to “lepak-lepak” around)

When we reached there, I could not believe my eyes. The sea was vast, having no borders as far as my eyes can see. The tide was down, so we had our lunch early and soon, I was down at the beach with my Dad, chasing all the small crabs. I did not know then but I did a lot of “CSI” stuff with the baby crabs then.

Another activity, to look for “kerang” or a better word is “lala” which we would gather to bring back home for a delicious dinner.

It will be on the surface and all it takes is for us to feel around our feet against the sand to reveal it. The moment that we will wait for is when the tide is up. It will be the time to hit the water and so reckless of me, I usually find myself overwhelmed with the sudden increase of the seawater. Luckily my Dad will be close to “rescue” me. I can’t swim, so I end up wading through the water and playing “catching” with the waves. It was fun.

We had the best time that day, leaving just after 6.30 pm. Feeling tired and sun-burned, my dad would stop the car at one of the houses along the Banting road and get for us, cocoa to munch along the way. To close off the chapter, we have steamed “lala” with Maggi chilli sauce before hitting the bed. We are just too tired to be awake after the trip.

morib temple

(Before going to the beach, a pit stops at a temple just 2 km before the beach. The atmosphere is cooling and peaceful. These days, we go to Morib for the temple more than for the beach. Note: the photo was taken before the temple renovation)

These days, we only go to Morib for the temple and for nothing else. After prayers, we would stop by the Morib beach for breakfast and a look at the sea (bringing back the good old memories). Yes, the tiny crabs are still there.

Port Dickson has become our choice now for a swim in the sea as we often arrange for one night stay at the various beach resorts in the beachside town. Something that Morib beach still lacks.

Please Leave Your Thoughts on the Post